Basilica Cistern (Guided Tour)
#5 in Istanbul
The Basilica Cistern is the largest of several hundred ancient cisterns that lie beneath the city of Istanbul. Venture into the underground palace that is filled with ancient wonders such as the Medusa Pillar Bases, and the Hen’s Eye Column. This sunken palace has so much to hold that they shot scenes of Hollywood movies in it. Exploring had never been this adventurous!
An amazing guided tour is included with the Istanbul Tourist Pass.
Hours & Schedule
- Monday: 09:00 and 16:00
- Tuesday: 09:00, 12:00 and 16:00
- Wednesday thru Sunday: 09:00, 12:00, 14:30, 16:45
The approximate duration is 30 minutesView Timetable
How To Get There?
The tour starts from the stop of the BigBus touristic buses in the Sultanahmet Square, approximately 20 meters (65 ft) in front of the Hagia Sophia Museum.
The Sultanahmet Square can be reached via the T1 Tram Line.
- The guided tours are performed in English.
- The tour starts at the stop of the Big Bus in Sultanahmet. Click on Get Directions above to find the location.
- The tour doesn't require a reservation in advance.
- Istanbul Tourist Pass holders do not pay admission at the Basilica Cistern.
- Children will be asked to present their valid passport at the entrance of the museums in order to validate their age.
- Please note that this attraction cannot be accessed directly by presenting the digital Pass at the museum. You need to enter with the tour guide.
- The museum is closed for visits for half-day on the first day of Ramadan and Sacrifice Festivals.
Istanbul's one & only sightseeing pass with free Access to 30+ attractions & services.
Buy now & save over €250!